The history of the Uuras Port stretches back hundreds of years. In early 19th century, timber export from the Port increased significantly. The Port’s growth was accelerated further by completion of the Saimaa Canal in 1856.
Before the World Wars, Uuras was the world’s largest timber export port. Barges delivered the timber over the Saimaa Canal and ocean vessels transported the cargo to the world. In summer, the workload was high and loading of the vessels sometimes around the clock. There could be some 80 ships from ten different countries in the Port at the same time. Seasonal ship loader jobs were available for inhabitants of other archipelago and mainland areas as well. Only the winter season was quiet, for the sea was frozen.
Villages once located on both sides of the Port were destroyed in the Winter War and Continuation War. Today, there is a small settlement on the Uuras (Vysotsk) island serving the local oil port. The Ravansaari (Malyi Vysotsk) island is overgrown and uninhabited.