Vyborg

Map of Vyborg, around 1900. EKM

The history of the city of Vyborg dates back until the year 1293, when the Vyborg Castle was founded to protect the nearby busy trading centre. In the 1470s, stone walls were built around the town to protect it against attacks. The wall was also provided with defensive towers; the famous Vyborg blast is supposed to have happened next to one of these on 30 November 1495. According to a folk tale, the blast scared off Russians who were about to conquer the town.

Before the Winter War, Vyborg was Finland’s second largest city by population. It was the commercial centre of eastern Finland, which was famous for its internationality. The city was also known for its culture and education, and its theatre and music scene was highly appreciated. Vyborg was a popular tourist destination on both domestic and international levels.

You can also get to know Vyborg, its attractions and boroughs on the website VirtuaaliViipuri.


More about online exhibition

Museum’s work group:
Mona Taipale, Satu Ståhlberg and Johanna Piipponen

Script for the online exhibition: Pauliina Veijalainen
The online exhibition’s script is based on the joint exhibition Barefoot of the Lappeenranta museums, which was scripted by Anna Kortelainen. The character texts of the online exhibition are based on the articles by Anna Kortelainen in the book Avojaloin – 20 tositarinaa Karjalan Kannakselta (publisher: Gummerus).

Graphic design: Päivi Veijalainen / Huhtikuu

Technical implementation: Marko Myllymäki / Atadone

Audio clip scripts: Anna Kortelainen

Audio clip readers:
Jukka Lehtinen
Liisa Lehtinen
Maria Lehtinen
Mikko Pirinen
Netta Salonsaari
Antti Taipale
Helmi Taipale
Mikko Taipale
Mona Taipale

Image copyrights:
Etelä-Karjalan museo (EKM)
Etelä-Karjalan taidemuseo (EKTM)
Lintulan luostari
National Board of Antiquities
Pietarin kaupunginmuseo
(State Museum of the History of St Petersburg. St Petersburg)
Ostrobothnian Museum
Border Museum
Finnish Labour Museum Werstas (TW)
Private collections

The exhibition is supported by the National Board of Antiquities

Museovirasto